Monster The Book Review. People From Texas

I like my pharmacist. I went to pick up my refill last night at Walgreens. He wrote me a note with a little happy face on it. I smiled. When was the last time your pharmacist made you smile? Yay Vinay!

Everyone has a friend who’s gone off the deep end over the wrong sports team. I have one such friend. And he’s a dentist. I won’t mention Stevenson’s name here because it’ll just go to his head. His daughter’s in this video but that’s not why you should watch it. You should watch it because it’s got a great message and a catchy tune.

My friend Josh posted this to his Facebook page. It gives you perspective as to how deep the Mariana Trench really is. It’s to scale and very impressive. I was going to put a thumbnail here, but even that is scarily large. Keep in mind, Mount Everest would fit inside easily and still leave a mile of space unused. Take a gander.

Mark Fischel has this tidbit which is awesome to help educate the people of the fine state of Texas. “Nearly a third of Texans believe humans and dinosaurs roamed the earth at the same time, ” says the article invoking images of Fred, Wilma, Barney, and Betty. Another 30% admitted to not knowing. Only 41% of the people in the state of Texas realize this isn’t true. It’s the other 59% that scare me. Damn. If you’re from Texas, help spread the word. These people ought not be allowed to reproduce — help protect the gene pool.

Oh, right, a book review for everyone. I just read A. Lee Martinez’s Monster. I found this book as I was exiting the Borders at the Galleria Mall in Fort Lauderdale. I was just about to exit when I saw this odd, toxic yellow cover with an odd logo. It was catching enough I decided to actually pick it up and read the blurb. I was intrigued. It seemed quirky. It’s some weird cross between science fiction, horror, and fantasy. I am unable to characterize it or categorize it. It’s quirky in a Fforde sort of way and is funny in a Pratchett sense but not like either of those authors. This is not Martinez’s first book, and I liked it enough to consider other titles.

This is taken from the back cover blurb: “Monster’s Girlfriend Liz is a succubus, his sidekick is a paper man named Chester, and more unusual characters than you can shake a stick at. And like all novels in the genre, they end up having to save the world. Much hilarity ensues between the drama. One of the reviewers on Amazon compared it to Christopher Moore’s The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove. That may be the closest comparison anyone’s come up with.”

Lastly, a reminder for those on Facebook who continue to make posts that say “I wish there was a dislike button so I could click on it” — I remind you there is one. Just add this to your browser. Now available for Firefox and coming any day for Internet Explorer. (Though it does beg the question why anyone actually would use IE.)

Leave a Reply